Sunday, January 17, 2010

Setting Boundaries

Good evening Michael I see you once again have done an on-line ordination. This time with the Church of the latter Day Dudes.  This is your third ordination yet you have no interest  in pursuing the clergy as a calling.

10 or 12 years ago I was considering seriously a career as a chaplain. I worked my way toward my goal only to find obstacle after obstacle in my way. I guess I was expecting an easier time trying to do your work here on earth.

Yet, you dealt with these obstacles by quitting your path. Then like the gentleman on the roof during the flood you ignored the help I sent to get you started again.

True, though to be fair I didn't expect 24% interest on a loan to be much help. Yet it would have gotten me through that last semester had I applied myself. However I was having second thoughts on my career choice. It wasn't feeling like a calling anymore. There was no passion there.


Passion is not a criteria for helping others, compassion is. That is something you have in plenitude, yet you seldom put it to use constructively. I have noticed that when you have money and time you are not stingy with sharing that time and money with those less fortunate. Though when you perceive a lack in your own life you will hold back from giving, but not from caring. Perhaps there are ways that you can share your compassion and talent by raisng money instead of giving money. Many volunteer organizations exist to which you would be of value. In the next few days I will show you a few paths you may follow. In fact this puppeteering group for which you have just inquired may be an answer. What are your thoughts?

It seems that with other organizations that I have given my time to, they are not satisfied until I am giving all of me to further their cause. They take and take and take until the satisfaction I had from doing the right thing has become reason to stop. I liked working with Whitlock precisely because I could choose when to give of my time and money while remaining anonymous, no one coming after me for more.


Certainly it takes a bit of assertiveness on your part to establish boundaries. As long as you keep saying yes than people will keep asking. This is an aspect of human nature. if you look back to the gospels you will see that Jesus had much the same dilemma. The hordes of suffering were to much for any man. He chose to leave then send others in his place to minister to the unfortunate.This not a lack of compassion but a lack of time, energy and resources. learn to say no to new demands placed on you. Only accept what you can do. Others will be there to pick up the slack. 


Thank you once again Lord for an informative and useful chat. 




15 comments:

  1. Hi Michael (Tag)
    I enjoyed very much reading this post about setting boundaries, as this apply to everything in life. We need to establish the limits that protect us from being abused and misused and the suffering they imply.
    It is true, as long as you keep saying yes, people will keep asking, that is why we do need to set boundaries to the help we provided. We do need to understand the implications of helping others and how that affects all the parties involved. Helping is a joy when we don’t feel oblige and it comes from the bottom of our heart.

    I posted something on this on my blog a few weeks ago: Help and its implications, please have a look at it.

    loveNlight
    Gabi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tag - I just had a brain flash while reading this post. When I first started my blog, I didn't know why. It was a vague yearning. I think I was looking for....I hate saying the word....and I don't know why....God. Now sometimes when I sit at the computer, I think it's kind of magic or mystical and I keep searching and searching as if God is going to jump out at me in someone's post..or if I just keep clicking the 'next blog' tag, I'll find THE ONE TRUE blog that speaks to me...and....and...I'm getting all excited here...He IS here. The way you talk to him here. The way you work out your problems, your questions....There is something here....and there...and in my head, and in my heart. I'm not sure which of your words triggered it, but I'm starting to get it. You may not have formally pursued the clergy as your calling, but your humor and openness have made God (there, I said it outright) accessible to me. It doesn't have to be vague anymore. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....and I'm crying and I'm laughing and it doesn't have to be all serious and "special" and book-learnin' stuff and I can just be me and have fun...am I just tired or am I getting it? I don't know what to do with it???...it's hard to just let it be...I don't even want to write the cumbersome, heavy stuff on my blog anymore. I just want to go play....with God. Do I sound stupid? I don't think I can sleep. Am I having a schizophrenic episode? Is that what it takes to break through? I didn't even really ask for it. I didn't go to a revival meeting and get whonked....Will it still be there in the morning?

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few weeks ago we talked about definitions of God. Do you remember? I define God as how the Universe Works. A verb not a noun. I see how the universe works in the beautiful photographs you posted tonight. I feel that presence around me now and when I am mindful of the moment. You asked will it still be there in the morning. I think yes it will be there when you are mindful of this experience but it goes back to our discussion of Mother Theresa. There is someone I would say is a lot more spiritual than I, or perhaps more religious, yet so often didn't feel that presence. Is this the feeling that some spiritual traditions call enlightenment. I think so, but I won't say I'm enlightened. I talk to god or God and I know that I'm talking to myself yet something much greater than me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And having touched it once I feel that You and I will always have that access without striving, without more searching. But what do I know?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know a lot because you claim to know so little. I've been touched before, but not quite in this SIMPLE way. This is something I can sustain. I'm keeping it. I'm not giving it back. It's MY puppy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One last thing. From a Christian perspective is this what it means to be "Born Again"? I think yes but then fundamentalist take it too far.

    "and I'm crying and I'm laughing and it doesn't have to be all serious and "special" and book-learnin' stuff and I can just be me and have fun"

    Sure if someone said otherwise they were wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Say hello for me. And welcome to the club. Cool isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm having a hard time settling down. I'm going to go meditate. I wish standing was here to show me some sleep-inducing Yoga poses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It does calm the mind but be judicious. alprazolam is a powerful and addictive medication. Please feel free to email.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i am in awe. i had the same thing happen. yeah, in the last few days. i'm floating.

    gj-NOT a schizo episode, just a spiritual awakening. fatigue allows us to drop our usual barriers, and open. tag's most timely post delivered a written shaktipat!

    we are consciousness. our nature is bliss. let it in. simple.

    tag-you little rascal. what else have you been keeping from us? :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. I was wondering where you have been during all this excitement. It is so simple. According to Jimmy Buffett "it's so simple, like the jitterbug, it plumb evaded me"

    ReplyDelete
  13. geez, turn my back for a minute and look what happens! busy week, without much computer time. i'll do my best to keep up!

    ReplyDelete